Joe's progress

Published on 23/01/2021 @23:00:00 by vigilante sculpting

I've been working on and off on the Joe Pineapples sculpt, mostly because I got stumped on the furry trim on the collar of his coat. I tried a couple of different methods to reproduce the look of the fur, but it all just ended up looking like a sponge. Not very flattering.

But today I think I found a way to make it look like I want it to, so now progress can continue. The cloak itself still needs a bit of work, the bare grey apoxy you can see in the photos serve as armature for the sculpey, which I use to make the folds in the cloth with.

In the meantime I did make a succesful cast from the original sculpey model, which means I could now add better pins for holding the parts together, and see where the figure needs to be modified to make castings easier. I also still need to add a fair bit of detail - in the reference image, Joe is wearing a corset, stockings and gloves.

My plan is to finish up the current bare model, make a mold of that, and then do the full-blown model with cape, and make a mold of that.

Originally posted on coolminiornot.com